Thursday, May 24, 2012

WEEK 12 – Pre-Production Process Review.


aim: 500 word review of the pre-production process.

My pre-production work for horologium arborium (time of trees) started back before semester one started. I got the idea when I was lying in bed trying to go to sleep and I imagined from beginning to end how a man created a seed and made a tree.  So I wrote it all down and pitched it in class. Since then I worked on my script and got help from Jarrod who made sure my spelling was correct, this is because I have a problem where I put full stops and commas in the wrong place when I’m writing. My idea has changed a bit for the best, mostly cutting down some shots and making things simpler.

For my Thumbnails I had started working from scene 2 onwards. I was having a problem where I wasn’t too sure how to view my starting. My original idea was to have newspapers on the wall and it pans down to the floor to show a bin with scrap paper everywhere. This has changed to each newspaper on its own with dissolve too between each shot, and then at the end of the newspapers I decided to have piles of paper that showed my characters previous work.

For my character design I was having a really big problem trying to see my characters face. I could picture his clothes and hands but I never saw his face and drew my thumbnails without ever seeing his face. During classes I would search up actors, scientist and other characters that I thought would help me for designing my character. I was getting help from my boyfriend Matthew who gave me many names of scientist that he thought would help me design my character. Another thing that helped me out was that I have been waiting for a new movie to come out called ‘The Raven’ which is based on Edgar Allen Poe’s poems. John Cusack plays Poe in the movie, the costume design and the facial features of John Cusack in the film is exactly the way I wanted my character to look. When I was finding pictures I got a lot of help from Darren who asked me a lot of questions on how I wanted the clothes to look? How old is my character? And does he have facial hair? The questions helped me out a lot and I showed him the pictures of John Cusack, Darren helped me by drawing up some concept art that I could reference for my character. I’m really grateful for it and it helped me out a lot for when it was time for me to draw my character.

I am also getting a lot of help from Jack as he is making the seed and tree for me in 3D. He offered to help me because he said that he also likes the steampunk genre. We have had many discussions about what the seed is going to look like, how it opens, what comes out of it, what the final tree looks like, what are my storyboards like for showing the seed growing. I am very confident with Jack working on the seed/tree as he has been showing me his progress of work he has done. Each time we find something new or something that we both think will work better. I have showed him concept art for the seed/tree and I have also been taking his word into consideration to help things work.

The look of the outside world is based on the game ‘Machinarium’ which Jack also showed me. I have used it as a guide for my design for the outside world. For my characters study room I have also put together many photos of libraries and study rooms that Sean has also helped me with. I have also gone through magazines and cut out pictures that will help me design and the way I want items to look in my animation.

For the Model sheet of my character I was having some problems drawing him on the side and the back views. I know this was because my character wears a long jacket which goes down a bit pass his knees and I was finding it hard to draw him in different angles. Darren helped me by saying that I should block out and just draw my character without his jacket first and the add it in after. So I did that and it worked out perfectly.  My Action sheet was fine for me to do as I really enjoy doing simple structure action movements for my character. My Expression sheet at the start I was a little worried about because I found it hard finding picture references of facial expressions I wanted to use. I had no idea how to make an ‘intrigued’ facial expression. So Jack spoke to us about facial expressions and gave us a sheet which had a blank face in the middle with branching out of different facial expressions that can be done. This helped me as I could reference the picture and understand the slight differences that can show different emotions.

My Video Block and Animatic are coming a long all I need to do is find music that I like for my rough scratch track for the Animatic. I have been searching around but I’m still not sure what I’m looking for.  I have also made a Colour Palette of colours that I want in my animation and it’s a big help for me because I now know what each colour looks like and what will work for the textures. I still like the Tea Bag look and I am thinking of having the tea bag look for the background and having solid colours for the character.
I have been backing up my files every few days and writing down and checking off work that I want to complete. I get help from my fellow class mates when I ask for it and I always help back as much as I can. I really enjoy helping others. I am fine working with my class mates but to be honest I do get a little bit distracted, I have started to concentrate more as I push myself to do more work and have the mind set of “if I finish it early I have time to do other things”.

During pre-production I did feel that I was behind, I started to slowly catching up until I got sad news that some one hit my cat and he passed away. I was really upset because he wasn’t just a pet we had him for almost 8 years. Because of this I was finding it hard to concentrate and didn’t feel in the mood to work. I tried my best and I had support from Bounnong and my other fellow class mates. After a few days I felt stronger and started to work more and now I have a lot more work done.
In week 13 I have Stocktake with work on Monday and Tuesday night. This is a set back for me as I’m losing two days of work. I’m glad that Wednesday is a day off because I will try and get more work done but I will also be really tired on Tuesday for classes. I’m going to work hard and try and get work done as much as I can.

word to your mother…                  

No comments:

Post a Comment